Why did I write the popular, faith-based grief survival guide Love Never Dies: Embracing Grief with Hope & Promise? Here are the reasons that I felt this important book needed to be written:
- I am convinced that the burden of grief can be changed and lightened by altering how mourners, caregivers and culture think about grief. I want mourners as much as realistically possible to have opportunities in their grief journey to be encouraged rather than discouraged.
- I understand that grief is never easy. I also understand that with knowledge about the true nature and purpose of grief and with support, comfort, and encouragement from others, grief can become easier.
- I have observed that long-held misunderstandings of grief by mourners, their caregivers and supporters, and the culture often create unnecessary complications for mourners in their grief and in their lives.
- I wanted to share with others insights, knowledge and perspectives of grief which have proven to be helpful, encouraging and healing to a majority of those in grief. Most of all I wanted to share what I wished I had known about grief as I started my grief journey over nineteen years ago.
- I take seriously the charge given to those who have experienced the comfort of God in the message of 2 Corinthians 1:3-4:
All praise to the God and Father of our Master, Jesus the Messiah! Father of all mercy! God of all healing counsel! He comes alongside of us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us. We have plenty of hard times that come from following the Messiah, but no more so than the good times of his healing comfort–we get a full measure of that, too.”
- I want mourners to discover hope that they and their grief can change over time and the promise that they have available to them the resources to get through grief in healthy and healing ways.
Written by Larry M. Barber, LPC-S, CT author of the grief survival guide “Love Never Dies: Embracing Grief with Hope and Promise” available online at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Love-Never-LPC-S-Larry-Barber/dp/1613796005 ), Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/love-never-dies-lpc-s-ct-larry-m-barber-ct-larry-m/1104364890?ean=9781613796016).
The grief survival guide is also available in Spanish as “El Amor Nunca Muere: Aceptando el Dolor con Esperanza y Promesa”
Both English and Spanish versions are available for Kindle and Nook. Larry is the director of GriefWorks, a free grief support program for children and their families in Dallas TX http://grief-works.org.